Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 19, Special Olympics Award Ceremony








After co-hosting the "Malaria No More" Event, I took a nap, headed into work and then took a nap and headed to the Special Olympics being held at the Minnetonka Middle School. I had never worked with the Special Olympics before and I'm sure this was one of my most favorite events so far! These kids/adults had the most unbelievable exhuberance I've ever experienced!!

When announcing the awards, I decided to make it very "sports announcery" like at a game---calling up each team and awarding them their medals..."Chaaaaasskkkkaaa Hawks----You are the wiiinnnaaaahhhhhss!!!" "RED ROOOSTERS Come on Up!!!"

They ran up and one athelete wrapped his arms around me and planted a huge kiss on my cheek, then jumped up and down hooting and hollering.The other volunteers said they were worried he would pull me down cause he was so big!

After announcing each winning team, I started chanting as each team got up "WOOOH, WOOH, WOOH, HOOH" I took photos with every first place team and at one point there was a bit of a mix up where the 2nd was the 1st and the 1st was the 2nd...well, you get the idea...the great thing was, the 2nd place team was not too upset. The new first place team went crazy!! They knew the difference! AFter I while, I gave up my own inhibitions and was taking pictures while jumping in the air and getting excited with them!

One Boy after another came up for photos and hugs and one came up multiple times but I told him he had hit his "2 kiss limit". He was so excited to get a picture kissing my cheek!

The picture of me with Kevin in the blue shirt is after he came over for a hug. The people behind me said that his face was priceless because he looked sooo happy.
Although I was deliriously tired, I had such a great time and didn't want to hand my mike over to the next "announcer"...
I will definitely be announcing again after I give up my crown-This time I'll wear one of my daughters crowns...they really love it and feel special when they are given their award by a "Princess".
What an amazing and special group of kids--I can see how you could learn alot about unconditional love from them.

No comments:

Best in Evening Gown

Best in Evening Gown

Bessie crowning me

Bessie crowning me

The Top 5

The Top 5

The final moments with Ann Marie and I

The final moments with Ann Marie and I

My husband Corrado and I

My husband Corrado and I

My husband is proud of me

My husband is proud of me

Winners with Judges

Winners with Judges

Director, Faith Schway

Director, Faith Schway

Holly with Me & Lauren

Holly with Me & Lauren

We're off to Nationals!!

We're off to Nationals!!

My husband Corrado

My husband Corrado

Me & the Former Mrs Minnesota's!!

Me & the Former Mrs Minnesota's!!

My Mom & I

My Mom & I

Rehearsal with all contestants