Sunday, July 6, 2008


Fourth of July: Delano Parade


It turns out that everybody does love a parade! 20,000 people turned out to enjoy the 4th of July festivities with over 100 floats/entrants featuring music, Dairy Queens (no, not the ice cream) and lots of candy thrown to the youngest of onlookers from their hometown curb.


My husband, Corrado and our daughter, Chloe, 3,and I found ourselves a bit overwhelmed with the depth of the crowd on either side of the road. My husband would remind me to pay attention to the other side of the street as well, but in case I would focus too long on one side, a simple "Hey Wendi!" would remind me to turn my head and say "hello" to a new group of supportive and friendly faces.


The most enthused group definitely seemed to be our married women of Minnesota---craning their necks to see the new Mrs. Minnesota America and gave a warm nod of approval as my daughter reached to pull the crown from my head. This parade reminded me of the importance of being Mrs. Minnesota and representing a proud and resourceful group of women who somehow manage to juggle a household, family and themselves on a day-to-day basis.


A parade is a slice of apple pie, of Americana, but also a time to band together in support of America and from which it stands...


No comments:

Best in Evening Gown

Best in Evening Gown

Bessie crowning me

Bessie crowning me

The Top 5

The Top 5

The final moments with Ann Marie and I

The final moments with Ann Marie and I

My husband Corrado and I

My husband Corrado and I

My husband is proud of me

My husband is proud of me

Winners with Judges

Winners with Judges

Director, Faith Schway

Director, Faith Schway

Holly with Me & Lauren

Holly with Me & Lauren

We're off to Nationals!!

We're off to Nationals!!

My husband Corrado

My husband Corrado

Me & the Former Mrs Minnesota's!!

Me & the Former Mrs Minnesota's!!

My Mom & I

My Mom & I

Rehearsal with all contestants